Nordholz 28-06-2023

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
Krazy
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F3

Nordholz 28-06-2023

Post by Krazy »

Since Top Aces moved to Nordholz because of the renovations taking place at Wittmund, the base has become a popular place to visit for me. I am still (yes, even after today) hunting the TA-4, but she keeps looking at me from the last row of the hangar.

In the previous reports I think I went through most of the possible spots, for this one it was just one main spot. This was the great spot on the southside of the sea-airport ramp, reached by taking the Claudius-Dornier-Strasse and the gravel track up the hill.

We arrived shortly before 8 o'clock, and the ramp was already filled with 3 A-4s and 3 Alpha Jets. One further Alpha Jet was in the tents, and in the right hangar the TA-4 and the A-4 534 were visible. The left hangar stayed shut all day.

The first Alpha Jets started up at 8:15.
ImageC-FHTO/104 Alpha Jet Top Aces

The local choppers from MFG5 were rather quiet, but at least two Lynx's took the skies. The 83+04 was one of them. A few choppers came in for what seems to be a little event. A B206 from Bückeburg, a Bundespolizei Puma and a FBS Cougar (82+02) all dropped in. We focused on the Top Aces, so unfortunately no decent shots from this event, as the distance to the runway is just too big from the Top Aces flightline.

The local flying school H135 was pulled out of it's hangar, but in contrast to earlier the little movable platform it is on was placed a bit further to the left on the ramp. This way it won't interfere with taxiway shots.
ImageD-HTMJ H135 MFG5

The early birds that started at 8:15 came back. The second one of the flight was the black Alpha Jet:
ImageC-GVTA/009 Alpha Jet Top Aces

After the first A-4 (later more on that one) the third Alpha Jet took to the skies
ImageC-GFTO/038 Alpha Jet Top Aces

The first A-4 that had taken off was a special one for me. After all the visits I never got the TA-4, but also never got the 'blue' A-4. After it's return, I'd say I can tick that one on the list:
ImageC-FGZS/337 A-4N Top Aces

A Sea King (89+50) dropped in for the event and later departed again. It seems to have come from a different field, as it didn't start from Nordholz that morning.

The Top Aces crew drove one of their tugs to the tent with the Alpha Jet, and a dash along the fence put me on the right side for the light. A quick question "Excuse me, are you going to move the Alpha Jet?" was answered by a yes, and was followed by stopping for about 10s after it was clear of the tent so we could take the following picture.
ImageC-GJTA/057 Alpha Jet Top Aces
Should you guys ever see this: you are the best! For me, the second new Top Aces plane of the day.

The Alpha Jet (038) returned, and a Luftwaffe H145 (77+07) came in for a short stop, followed by new action on the flightline. The last two A-4s started up, and the sun promptly returned for duty when they departed:
ImageC-FGZO/532 A-4N Top Aces

ImageC-FGZD/367 A-4N Top Aces

After 1,5 hours the A-4s weren't back, and the sun was now completely gone. On our way back, we spotted a NH-90 making it's way back to the base, so we grabbed that one. Not the best shot, but also to show how different the conditions were after 15:00.
Image79+51 NH90NTH MFG5

At 15:30 the black Alpha Jet departed once again, and the two A-4s still didn't return. We decided it wouldn't bring better pictures when we waited for them to return, so we left.

Hope you like them!

Regards
Bram
Sjoerd
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Re: Nordholz 28-06-2023

Post by Sjoerd »

Some great shots there Bram, and it really shows Nordholz (civil apron) is really great for shooting in a clean back drop!
-Good intell, allows for good decision making!-
falcon01
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Subscriber Scramble: falcon01

Post by falcon01 »

Nice catch, did you need steps at the fence?
Kees
Krazy
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Type of spotter: F3

Post by Krazy »

falcon01 wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 21:19 Nice catch, did you need steps at the fence?
Thanks! For the Alpha Jet 057, yes. In the background of that picture you can see the spot where the rest of the shots were made. I don’t use steps there, shoot through the barbed wire. I’d say you don’t need steps, as nothing moves quickly there. If you do want to use a ladder, just a few steps (2 or 3) will clear the barbed wire on top as well.
Sjoerd wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 21:17 Some great shots there Bram, and it really shows Nordholz (civil apron) is really great for shooting in a clean back drop!
Thanks! The backdrop is only a small section though, as the right side is littered with fuel trucks and other equipment ;)

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”