Forbidden -- You don't have permission to access....

ImageImageHere you will find messages from the Scramble Administration and Editorial Team. Please read them! You can also leave any comments or suggestions about this Message Board, the Scramble website or the magazine.

Forum rules
ImageImage
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: S5 - Military & Civil
Subscriber Scramble: Yep

Forbidden -- You don't have permission to access....

Post by Hans »

Hi,

Already mentioned at http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?p=439647#p439647, but apparently this is a bit hard for people to find, so I guess it deserves its own topic here;

Sometimes, when you try to submit a new post, people get the following error message, and are not able to actually post their message;
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /posting.php on this server.
Unfortunately I do not know yet what exactly causes this behaviour. (For the techies out there; yeah, I know it most likely is mod_security, but which rule? :-) )

So when you encounter the same error, please let me know. Just send me a PM! Hopefully, when I have enough examples, I can determine why this issue occurs every now and then.

If possible, please include as much answers to below questions, as this will help me solving the problem
  • Are you replying to an existing thread, and if so, which thread was that?. Or where you creating a new topic?
  • When replying, were you using the "Quick reply" box beneath the last post, or the "Full editor"?
  • If possible, include as much of the content of your post as possible. Put it in the

Code: Select all

[code]
    [/code] tags when necessary. Also include any BBCode you are using. When this also fails, please e-mail it to messageboard@scramble.nl.
  • Are you using the "full" version, of the mobile version of this message board?
  • Which browser are you using?
  • At what time did you encounter this error?
  • If possible, please provide me with the IP-address you are posting from. If you don't know how to check locally, please visit http://www.myip.nl/ (in Dutch), your IP address is displayed here after "WAN IP adres:", a numerical string, like 12.123.123.32.
    While you're on that page, you might want to copy the (complete!) string after "User agent:" too.
Thanks for your cooperation!!

Hans
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Re: Forbidden -- You don't have permission to access....

Post by Hans »

All,

With some examples I received this afternoon, I think at least I have the beginning of the solution;

In some cases it seems the total number of 'links' in your post (so the combined number of external links and images - the [url]+[/url] and [img]+[/img] tags) may not exceed 9.
But for some reason this is not always the case; I just managed to post a message which contained some 60+ links.... My guess this has also to do with some factors outside the message board itself (some browser settings on your computer?)

Anyway, when you encounter the 'Forbidden' error, check the total of those tags, and remove any which is not necessary for your post, or split your post.
And even when you succeed, I would like to receive your (original) post!!! (and of course as much other info you can give me as mentioned in above post)

And still, this does not account for ALL instances this error occurred. So i really need your help to have this solved; please send me all text you wanted to post when you got this error!!

Regards,

Hans
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

Hi,

As I haven't received any examples any more of people getting this error message, I presume it no longer is an issue, and I will close the ticket ;-)

Regards,

Hans
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by ehusmann »

NO!!!!

I did have the problem yesterday, between 17.00 and 18.00. The reason you didn´t get any notification from me, was that I could not reply to anything, nor send PMs! And when I finally could reply again, I forgot about sending a PM.

Erwin
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

All,

Tonight several adjustments were made in the settings of this server. Hopefully this means we do not have this kind of errors anymore.
When you still experience any issues, please let me know!!

Regards,

Hans
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

All,

Another issue which causes this error message from happening; in some cases more than one 'larger then' sign (">") in a row will also generate this error.

So for instance;

Code: Select all

>>
in your subject (!!) might be the cause.

I think going into detail when and when not this happens goes to far to explain here, but when you encounter the error, this might be something to check.

As this is something which is easily circumvented, it is not high on my priority list to have it solved immediately. And we first have to determine what exactly the security risks are anyway.

Regards,

Hans
der.vogt
Scramble Newbie
Scramble Newbie
Type of spotter: F3

Post by der.vogt »

Hello Hans,

I just had another occurance of that Error Message when trying to post to the following Thread, I had to split up my post, perhaps that helps a bit more, it's quite an annoyance now for a while...

http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 84#p446584

As soon as I had split up my post not containing more than three thumbnail images, posting and preview worked quite well.....I was using the standard editor with making usage of the Reply Button on the end of each thread (so no quick reply). I have also tried it with a new registered user, but this was not possible at all as that user was not even able to activate his account after clicking the confirmation link.
Maximilian Lars - we will never forget you *27.05.2005 +26.06.2005
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

Hi,

We're still working on the 'multiple images' issue, but is a bit hard to get a clear picture of what exactly causes it, as I hardly receive any detailed information as requested in my first post.
And this is the first time I even heard about anybody not being able to activate their account!!! Could you please provide me more details by PM (username, when did you register, when did you try to activate etc)

regards,

Hans
der.vogt
Scramble Newbie
Scramble Newbie
Type of spotter: F3

Post by der.vogt »

Hello Hans,

sorry, perhaps it was a little miscommunication / misunderstanding about that activation stuff.

I was able to register, received the verification email, clicked the activation link, got the confirmation from the Forum script that I have been activated. But when I then tried to login to the Forum with the new credentials, the Forum replied to me, that the User account is invalid,despite correct taken registration.

Username has been send to you via PM, also time and date of try. Please let me know if you need further informations on that multiple images issue, I will gladly try to help as much as I can, if you give me a small list of things to look @, I will try to provide you with the needed infos for that.
Maximilian Lars - we will never forget you *27.05.2005 +26.06.2005
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

Hi,
der.vogt wrote:sorry, perhaps it was a little miscommunication / misunderstanding about that activation stuff.
This turned out it has nothing to do with the "Forbidden" error
der.vogt wrote:Please let me know if you need further informations on that multiple images issue, I will gladly try to help as much as I can, if you give me a small list of things to look @, I will try to provide you with the needed infos for that.
Yes please, see my first post to see what kind of details I would like to receive.

Kind regards,

Hans
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

All,

Just been informed the issue with multiple images/links should now be resolved.

There still are cases where this error occurs, but this far I have too little information to pinpoint what exactly causes it. So, if you encounter this error from now, please let me know!!

Kind regards,

Hans
Shunn31
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: Civil and military
Subscriber Scramble: YES

Post by Shunn31 »

I have this message when I put more of 3 pics on the forum ;)
Hans
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Hans »

Hi,
Shunn31 wrote:I have this message when I put more of 3 pics on the forum ;)
Still? This particular issue should have been solved last week or so.

Regards,

Hans
B767-300ER
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by B767-300ER »

I have postend 7 pics in one topic last week and didn't have any problems.
All times are local times!

Regards, N.

Return to “Messages from & to Scramble”