1985 South African Air Force trip

ImageDedicated forum to share your older or thematic photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your older or theme-based aviation photos, under the same conditions as the parent forum. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).
Coldwater
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

1985 South African Air Force trip

Post by Coldwater »

Everything 'was born from my phone to the Embassy of South Africa to Rome to take photographs and information on the SAAF's time to expand an article I wrote in the journal "Aerospace Month" that perhaps the most fans' "elderly" remember.
Asking the military secretary told me that there ': and' to Bologna to attend a ceremony honoring the South African fallen on the Sun Mountain, to the military cemetery of Castiglione dei Pepoli (BO), but the evening would have stayed at a hotel in the city '. The tracing in the evening and invited me to dinner at a local restaurant.
Here I explain my request but surprisingly tells me: - How about a visit to the South African Air Force? I was stunned and did not seem true!!
Long story short after a visa for the passport I am embarking on a Boieing 747 of the South African technical Airways. Refueling stop in Lisbon and then continuously up to Johannesburg.
And here and 'started the visit to the SAAF in 1985. I never imagined being able to even fly on the base Impala Langebaanweg on a P166 to photograph in flight on a C-47 and C-47 to photograph as well as the P-166 'Alouette III for a photograph and a Super Frelon a Puma on Cape Town as well as' on a Transall for transfer to a base far Hoedspruit strangely closed by a high fence and thick unlike other foundations that did not have special defenses. I was told it was to prevent the elephants or other animals entered at the airport ........!!!!!!
I post some photos of that wanderfull experience .In the first 2 potos I'm in the Impala :D :D

Hans Rolink
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F4.5
Subscriber Scramble: Hans Rolink

Re: 1985 South African Air Force trip

Post by Hans Rolink »

You asked to attend a rememberance ceremony and got offered a full bases tour instead? Usually it would be the other way around.
One word; brilliant!
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful look into the past.

Hans.
Last edited by Hans Rolink on 24 Jul 2011, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Stratofreighter
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by Stratofreighter »

Your watermark is perhaps a bit "too conspicuous" :wink: , but boy, those aircraft you photographed... :respect:
September 2024 update at FokkerNews.nl....
r.e.hendriks
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: fly-by.nl
Subscriber Scramble: 1990>

Post by r.e.hendriks »

Again a very nice collection.....

Greetz Rob.
Coldwater
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Coldwater »

Hans Rolink wrote:You asked to attend a remberance cermony and got offered a full bases tour instead? Usually it would be the other way around.
One word; brilliant!
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful look into the past.

Hans.
Yes correct Hans. Col Van Hoerden ,SAAF military attaché in the South African Ambassy in Rome at the time, have invited me in South Africa
Coldwater
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by Coldwater »

Stratofreighter wrote:Your watermark is perhaps a bit "too conspicuous" :wink: , but boy, those aircraft you photographed... :respect:
Yes is true Stratofreighter but is for to save the photos.

You think I've seen my Lebanon pictures posted on a site which collects photos of Small Air Forces He did a great service with my photos!!!!!! but after he removed immediately :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Aviation Photos - Thematic & non-actual”