Nellis AFB - Aviation Nation 2011

ImageDedicated forum to share your own recent photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your recent aviation photos with the rest of the community, being photos not older than six months at the moment of topic opening. Theme-based topics, not about recent events, should go into the sub-forum.
Although we will not screen beforehand, we reserve the right to delete any images, especially if clearly unsharp or otherwise low in quality. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).

Finally, bring any photo criticism understandable and to the point, not cynical or offensive! Simultaneously, do not feel offended by criticism per se, but simply explain your motives, taste et cetera, or ignore if you wish so.
CoHaBa
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: Mil+Civ - Photography only
Subscriber Scramble: CoHaBa

Re: Nellis AFB - Aviation Nation 2011

Post by CoHaBa »

Potverdamn! That's what i call a great airshow and some nice pics! woohoo!
Rene Klok
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: Ja

Post by Rene Klok »

I promised to show 10 aircraft types that I saw for the first time after 30 years of spotting.
Here they are.

A Hispano Aviacion HA200.

Yes! My very first Raptor. Shame it was not flying.

Republic RC-3 Seabee. What a strange looking creature.

Lots of firepower on the A-37 Dragonfly.

O-2 Super Skymaster.

T-28C Trojan.

T-34 Mentor.

The infamous Mitsubishi A6 Zero

Okay I know the Hawk but this T-45 Goshawk is a bit different.

A Ryan Navion

I forgot to upload this nice T-bird dive yesterday.

And to conclude the upload a friendly goodbye from a resident Aggressor jockey.

Needless to say we enjoyed this airshow a lot.
Thank you all for your nice comments.
Groeten, Regards,
René

KoosD
Scramble Rookie
Scramble Rookie
Type of spotter: Milspotter

Post by KoosD »

Hello,

Nice photocollection showed, but I have a question, is it possible to show more pictures of the impressive B2 bomberplane? Its my favorite.
Thanks
Greetings

Koosd
dutch312
Type of spotter: mil
Subscriber Scramble: dutch312

Post by dutch312 »

nice pics, here are some of mine

HH-60

B-2 fly over on sunday

team whiteman

HH-60 demo

F-86 and mig

T-33 the acemaker

Zero

C-130J dropping
SkyHawk71
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Type of spotter: militair&civil
Subscriber Scramble: SkyHawk71

Post by SkyHawk71 »

Very greatest verschillende aircraft nice pic`s and love phanthom pic`s :respect: :worship:
Airplane spotting is not a crime
Pentax k10d 50-500mm hsm os
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Photo only

Post by Andras »

tomba2247 wrote:
Rene Klok wrote:
tomba2247 wrote:Very nice flying shots! Well done
Have to say that some off the flying pics are a bit to soft.
Nellis is on my bucket list..Love to go there some time.
Thanks for your comments. Please let me know which pics you are referring to and what you mean with "too soft".

Hi,

Nr 1 and 5 i try to Find the sharp spot.. Don't get me wrong I like your pics but these two pics seems a litle bit out off focus or something???
But he ....I am a azijnpisser :wink:
No azijnpisser, its just as it is, better to say what you think of something than to always says great pics. Some great angles Rene, the Phantoms rocks ass, and i agree with Tom, maybe you can check on your editing skills to see if you can improve some :) I'm seriously jealous on your collection :)
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
My images at AirTeamImages.com
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Andras »

@Dutch312 Perhaps you could upload your shots bigger because this is a bit small, i love to see your Blackhawks a little bigger :) And welcome to the forum we usually say after an introduction ;)
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
dutch312
Type of spotter: mil
Subscriber Scramble: dutch312

Post by dutch312 »

Andras,
This flickr website where i have my pics Uploaded at wont let me do any bigger for some stupid reason i am in transition to a different photo website and will try to upload bigger pictures this weekend.

If you want to see any bigger pictures you could click on the picture and it takes you to my flickr page.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Rene Klok
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Rene Klok »

Andras wrote:No azijnpisser, its just as it is, better to say what you think of something than to always says great pics. Some great angles Rene, the Phantoms rocks ass, and i agree with Tom, maybe you can check on your editing skills to see if you can improve some :) I'm seriously jealous on your collection :)
I use PS Elements in a fairly basic way so if there is room for improvement I'm open to suggestions Andras.
My standard editing steps are to play around with levels, followed by color variations (not sure if that is the correct name; I don't have the application on my work pc) and some unsharp mask editing.
I'm interested to learn if there is anything more that I can do that will do the trick.
Groeten, Regards,
René

Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by Andras »

Rene Klok wrote:
Andras wrote:No azijnpisser, its just as it is, better to say what you think of something than to always says great pics. Some great angles Rene, the Phantoms rocks ass, and i agree with Tom, maybe you can check on your editing skills to see if you can improve some :) I'm seriously jealous on your collection :)
I use PS Elements in a fairly basic way so if there is room for improvement I'm open to suggestions Andras.
My standard editing steps are to play around with levels, followed by color variations (not sure if that is the correct name; I don't have the application on my work pc) and some unsharp mask editing.
I'm interested to learn if there is anything more that I can do that will do the trick.
Okay, first of all, use the sharp stuff, cause no matter what skills you have, you can't get a unsharp shot to turn into a sharp shot ever.

Also better calibrate your monitor otherwise all the stuff you will do next won't be as good as you want it to be.
Check for dustspots, because you have a descent amount of them. But thats just appearance ;-)
Then level and crop if necessary. (Crop 3-2 or 16-9) White balance (your color variations) is very important. Make sure white is white and black is black.
Levels is ok, use as you wish (but don't overdo it). Check the histogram's little arrows at the botton.. Make them touch the mountains to get the hang of it. (Don't overdo it)
Vignettering, get it out (Dark corners of your image)
I think you use a lot of highlight or fill light... Try and keep that low as possible, otherwise you are creating HALO's around edges (the only HALO you want is the Xbox360 version)
Use Curves if necessary.
Finally your sharpen technique will do...
Thats it, in RAW this will work best, so you need to export to a JPG.

This is a nutshell explanation, try it and keep the reality in mind. ;-)

Last Aggressor F-16 looks really good...

Regards,
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
SquAdmin
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by SquAdmin »

Andras wrote:Okay, first of all, use the sharp stuff, cause no matter what skills you have, you can't get a unsharp shot to turn into a sharp shot ever.
Yes, you can : http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?t=78692&start=0

@Rene: I like the effect of the clouds on the F-22 picture. Were they moving so fast or did you use some HDR technique?
Greetz,

Patrick
Rene Klok
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Rene Klok »

Andras wrote:
Rene Klok wrote:
Okay, first of all, use the sharp stuff, cause no matter what skills you have, you can't get a unsharp shot to turn into a sharp shot ever.

Also better calibrate your monitor otherwise all the stuff you will do next won't be as good as you want it to be.
Check for dustspots, because you have a descent amount of them. But thats just appearance ;-)
Then level and crop if necessary. (Crop 3-2 or 16-9) White balance (your color variations) is very important. Make sure white is white and black is black.
Levels is ok, use as you wish (but don't overdo it). Check the histogram's little arrows at the botton.. Make them touch the mountains to get the hang of it. (Don't overdo it)
Vignettering, get it out (Dark corners of your image)
I think you use a lot of highlight or fill light... Try and keep that low as possible, otherwise you are creating HALO's around edges (the only HALO you want is the Xbox360 version)
Use Curves if necessary.
Finally your sharpen technique will do...
Thats it, in RAW this will work best, so you need to export to a JPG.

This is a nutshell explanation, try it and keep the reality in mind. ;-)

Last Aggressor F-16 looks really good...

Regards,
Thanks for the tips Andras. I will try them and reply on the results in your DM
Groeten, Regards,
René

Rene Klok
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Rene Klok »

SquAdmin wrote:
Andras wrote:Okay, first of all, use the sharp stuff, cause no matter what skills you have, you can't get a unsharp shot to turn into a sharp shot ever.
Yes, you can : http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?t=78692&start=0

@Rene: I like the effect of the clouds on the F-22 picture. Were they moving so fast or did you use some HDR technique?
The thought of the new Photoshop development also crossed my mind but I guess it will be a bit out of my pricerange.
No tricks were used in the F-22 picture. I guess it is the combination of those particular clouds and my Canon 17-40 lense. Most of the static shots where taken at almost 17mm.
Groeten, Regards,
René

Flyboy
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4
Subscriber Scramble: Flyboy

Post by Flyboy »

-
Last edited by Flyboy on 26 Nov 2011, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rene Klok
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior

Post by Rene Klok »

Flyboy wrote:Based upon the EXIF information on Flickr, Dutch312's camera is an 300D (according to wikipedia these are produced in 2003-2004) and the F-86 and mig shot is 1/2500 sec @ f5,6 300mm. The lenstype is not included in the EXIF, so I assume it is a kit lens. The above may very well be the reason for the quality of the picture, simply because this is the quality of the gear.

Please take into consideration that some of us do have professional gear, while others spend their money on other interests. Based on the pictures Dutch312 had a great time, and isn't that what counts?

Have a nive weekend,
Marc

PS: assumption is the mother of all f*ckups...
Marc, I believe a slight misunderstanding. Andras was referring to me where as you are referring to Dutch312 :)
Anyway, I used a Canon 5D with a Canon 17-40mm for the static shots and a Canon 30D with Canon 100-400mm lens for the flightshow.
Groeten, Regards,
René

Return to “Aviation Photo Forum”