MiG-21 preserved at Leeuwarden air base

ImageImageForum for all "old aircraft" related news, background, discussions and research.

Forum rules
ImageImageForum for all news, background, discussions and research on vintage aircraft, warbirds and wrecks & relics (stored, preserved, dumped etc). Actual logs -especially those of active airfields- are preferred to be posted in the appropriate Spotters forums.
Stephan Lodewijks
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: I shall say this only once: (ex-)MILITARY!!!! :-)
Subscriber Scramble: Stephan Lodewijks

MiG-21 preserved at Leeuwarden air base

Post by Stephan Lodewijks »

Maybe I've overlooked some obvious info, but I can't find a confirmation on the bort code painted on the MiG-21 which is preserved between the southern flightlines at Leeuwarden. I read '010', but it also looked like '019' a bit, due to the heat haze warping the digits.

Anyone?

My apologies if I missed previous info on this.

Regards, and thanks.

Stephan
Giovanni
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Type of spotter: Military

Re: MiG-21 preserved at Leeuwarden air base

Post by Giovanni »

Stephan Lodewijks wrote:Maybe I've overlooked some obvious info, but I can't find a confirmation on the bort code painted on the MiG-21 which is preserved between the southern flightlines at Leeuwarden. I read '010', but it also looked like '019' a bit, due to the heat haze warping the digits.

Anyone?

My apologies if I missed previous info on this.

Regards, and thanks.

Stephan
this one? the MiG-21SPS on base near operations building. that is a ex. 22+40 stands there as '804'
Stephan Lodewijks
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

I am refering to the green/brown camo single-seat MiG-21 right next to the well-known Su-20, preserved between the two southern flightlines. Its bort code was definately not '804', but '010' or maybe '019'. Only the righthand side of the aircraft was visible to us.

Anyone?

Stephan
Rick!?
Scramble Newbie
Scramble Newbie
Subscriber Scramble: Rick

Post by Rick!? »

Stephan Lodewijks wrote:I am refering to the green/brown camo single-seat MiG-21 right next to the well-known Su-20, preserved between the two southern flightlines. Its bort code was definately not '804', but '010' or maybe '019'. Only the righthand side of the aircraft was visible to us.

Anyone?

Stephan
The aircraft can be found in the database of Leeuwarden when searching for type and then MiG-21. There is also a picture of the MiG taken during the open days in 2016. Info from the database: 08-11-2012 804 Mig-21SPS GAF arr. per dieplader. Ex 22+40 LW, 919 NVA. So first 804 was painted on it but at the open days the painting wasn't finished yet. So probably the former NVA registration is painted on it again. https://movements.agl-fullstop.nl/zoeken.php
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124744681@N02/
Stephan Lodewijks
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Ah ok, so 919 instead of 010 or 019. Could very well be the case. If anyone knows for sure, I would like to hear. Thanks in advance!!!

Steef

Return to “Vintage, warbirds and wrecks & relics”