An Iraqui in Belgrade

ImageDedicated forum to share your older or thematic photos with the rest of the community.
Please note large files may exist here before you start browsing!

Forum rules
ImageThis is the forum to share your older or theme-based aviation photos, under the same conditions as the parent forum. For more information on how to upload you images, check this post.
In topic titles, please use airfield names in stead of just codes, and be clear about what kind of photos your viewers can expect (e.g. CIV/MIL, location etc.).
Coldwater
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

An Iraqui in Belgrade

Post by Coldwater »

In September 2002 during a my visit to Serbian RViPVO I stopped in Belgrade for a whole day at the Museum of the Air (in Serbian Музеј ваздухопловства).
Founded in 1957, the museum is open only from May 21, 1989. The main collection is housed in a glass structure based geodica, while other small planes or helicopters are on display in other buildings or outside
Among the planes on the outside, there is also the former Iraqi MiG 23 ML 23269 Air Force, quite well preserved that were deleted the banner of nationality '. Only in the queue there is a small portion of a likely sign department.
According to some sources, some Iraqi MiG-23 arrived in Yugoslavia in the '80s for a series of revisions at the premises at MOMA Batajinica but it seems that only a few managed to return home while this exemplary serious technical problems which occur in Serbia remained permanently.
Other sources give the version that you were directing these MiG23 Iraqis in Poland for the review and that this had forced landing in Serbia for serious technical problems. Othars sources say that in 1989 went from Iraq a delgation hastly in Serbia to plan the immediate return of all 19 Mig 21 and 23 that were in Batajinica for maintenance due to the known events of the war that would happen within a short time in that area.
Probably one of the Mig 23 because of various problems he was unable 'to return to Iraq so he remained in Serbia and donated to the Museum
I think is unknown history !!!

Return to “Aviation Photos - Thematic & non-actual”